Greek Chicken Kebabs with Feta Sauce
Low Calorie, Heart Healthy Recipe
Soak in the last few weekends of grilling season with marinated chicken kebabs and in-season vegetables. Our weight management team has the perfect low calorie, heart healthy recipe that is sure to be a new family favorite.
Total Time: 1 hour
Per Serving: 184 calories, 7 grams total fat, 7 grams total carbs, 22 grams protein
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into twenty-four 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into sixteen 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, quartered, layers separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced fat crumbled feta (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plain o% fat Greek yogurt
- In a gallon size re-sealable plastic bag, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, oil, oregano and 2 tablespoons of red-wine vinegar – season salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or to save time, refrigerate overnight).
- Soak eight, 6-inch wooden skewers in a bowl of water for 15 minutes (to keep them from burning!)
- On each skewer, alternately thread 3 pieces of chicken, 2 pieces of zucchini and 2 pieces of onion.
- Heat grill or pan to medium heat.
- Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through – about 12-14 minutes.
- For the feta dipping sauce: Combine feta, yogurt and red-wine vinegar in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve the kebabs with feta dipping sauce on the side and enjoy!
Our Team’s Tips
- While assembling kebabs, start and end each kebab with chicken to prevent vegetables from sliding off of the skewer!
- Don’t like zucchini? Try this recipe with squash, bell peppers or any other seasonal vegetable.
- Have leftovers? Slide chicken, zucchini and onion off of skewer and into a bed of mixed greens for a quick salad.