Expert and Compassionate Lab Testing
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth Laboratory offers a full range of lab services in a comfortable setting close to home. Our team includes pathology physicians, administrative staff, technologists, lab assistants and clerical staff.
Our labs perform almost one million tests each year at seven collection stations. We provide services for:
- Patients currently in the hospital
- People receiving care or treatment at one of our outpatient facilities
- Local nursing homes and skilled care facilities
- Physician offices, including Primary Care
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Emergency Care
- Cancer Care Center
- Government agencies
Our Laboratory Services
We offer a wide range of laboratory services, including:
- Blood banking: blood products, blood typing and products for transfusion.
- Chemistry: determining the presence and/or amount of certain substances in the body.
- Coagulation: testing how your body clumps blood cells together to form a clot.
- Cytology: checking the formation, structure and function of your cells.
- Hematology: testing your blood and blood-forming tissues, and diagnosing blood conditions.
- Histology: studying the microscopic structure of your body's tissues.
- Pathology: studying the structure of normal, abnormal, diseased or injured tissue.
- Phlebotomy: taking a blood sample from your body using a needle.
- Microbiology: the scientific study of microorganisms.
- Serology: the scientific study of fluid components of blood, especially antigens (diseases, toxins or other substances that enter your body) and antibodies (the blood proteins that fight antigens).
- Urinalysis: studying a urine sample in the lab.
The BID Plymouth Laboratory is licensed and/or accredited by:
- American Association of Blood Banks
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
- Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA)
- The Joint Commission
Blood Draw Orders
All orders should be faxed to ensure availability at all blood drawing stations. Our fax number is 508-830-2570.
Our lab staff partners with providers and specialists across Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth to offer fast, accurate diagnoses.
Pathologists study body cells and tissue samples under a microscope to diagnose a health condition.
Technicians closely analyze tissue samples (biopsies) under a microscope to make a diagnosis.
Radiology & Imaging
In addition to lab tests, your doctor also may order radiology and imaging tests.