Pain Management at BID Plymouth
Living in pain is no way to live. It can keep you from doing things that matter to you. Pain can interfere with sleep and affect your mood and spirits. Our pain experts at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth are here to help.
Whether your discomfort was caused by a recent injury or medical condition, or you’ve been living with it for years, we’ll empower you to take charge of your pain. We can help you get back to living life.
A Team Dedicated to Pain Relief
At BID Plymouth, you’ll get personalized care based on the best available medical evidence. We use a coordinated, team approach to pain relief. Your care team could include specialists in anesthesiology, chiropractic care, neurosurgery, physiatry and physical therapy, depending on your unique needs.
From evaluation and diagnosis to treatment and beyond, we’ve got you covered. You don’t have to guess who to call — you can call us first. We direct you to the care best suited to meet your needs. Then we track your progress and bring in additional team members as needed. Our goal is to get you the right care at the right time.
What to Expect
We work with both patients who know what’s causing their pain and those who don’t yet have a diagnosis. With one call, you can get an appointment — usually within 48 hours. Here’s what typically happens:
- You meet with one of our team members who will help coordinate your care. We will evaluate your condition and learn more about how pain is affecting you, both physically and mentally. We will get to know you and your concerns and answer your questions. We’ll decide if you need additional testing or workup.
- If no immediate testing is needed, we will make recommendations for your treatment. In most cases, this includes a course of conservative therapy. Usually, it’s provided by a chiropractor or physical therapist. We’ll work together to schedule your care treatments as an outpatient.
- It may take some time and several treatments before you notice improvement. After two weeks, our team will reassess your condition. If you’re feeling better, we may recommend staying the course. If not, we may discuss the need for imaging tests or direct you to other members of our team. Our specialists work closely together so your tests aren’t unnecessarily duplicated.
Our aim is to help you alleviate your pain. But if we can’t completely remove it, we can at least help you manage it. No matter what, we want to help you have the best possible quality of life.
Treatments We Offer
We may use a variety of treatments to relieve your pain. We tailor therapy to your specific needs and preferences. In most cases, we begin with conservative treatments and turn to more advanced therapies and surgery only if needed. Some common treatments include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Exercise & core strengthening
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesiology taping
- Spinal and joint mobility therapies
- Sport-specific return programs
Advanced Pain Management Treatments
- Botox injections
- Facet joint blocks
- Lumbar, thoracic, cervical epidural steroid injections
- Peripheral nerve blocks
- Peripheral nerve stimulation
- Platelet-rich plasma injection
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Sympathetic ganglion blocks
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
- Trigger point injections
- Carpal tunnel release
- Cervical decompression
- Cervical fusion
- Lumbar decompression
- Lumbar fusion
Types of Pain We Treat
We can provide pain relief for many conditions including but not limited to:
- Arthritis-related pain
- Cancer-related pain
- Cervical and lumbar radiculopathy
- Chronic and post-surgical scar tissue pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Disk injuries
- Facet joint pain
- Iliotibial band (ITB) pain
- Lower back, hip and rib pain
- Motor vehicle accident injuries
- Muscle and ligament pain
- Neck, shoulder and arm pain
- Neuropathic pain
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Peripheral vascular pain
- Piriformis and gluteal muscle pain/syndrome
- Pregnancy-related pain
- Sacroiliac joint pain
- Scapular pain
- Shingles (postherpetic neuralgia)
- Spinal stenosis
- Sports injuries
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Trochanteric bursitis
- Whiplash injuries
Our Pain Management Specialists
At Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital–Plymouth's Pain Management Center, our experienced team provides the highest quality pain management care for patients suffering from acute and chronic conditions. We are here to help you. Learn more about our pain management specialists below.
Services & Specialties
Specialists from many areas work together to help relieve your pain.
Take the first step on your journey toward better health.